Monday, September 22, 2008

Nancy the Firefighter

Sunday 9:20pm
As I was cutting across a near-empty parking lot on my way home from the grocery store I spotted a 4 foot wide area of smoking mulch on one of the parking lot tree islands. I doubled back for a better look and noticed the smoke plume growing. I also noticed the only other cars in the lot were now swiftly exiting the area. I didn't think it warranted a call to 911, it was just a pile of smoking mulch but what if it really starts to blaze? As I leaned over to get my cell phone, I saw an almost full bottle of water in the car. I dashed over to the suspicious mulch and dumped the contents of my water bottle on the mulch. It seemed to make a difference but I wasn't sure it was completely extinguished. Since I didn't have any additional firefighting gear, I raced home and called the non-emergency sheriff's number. He immediately transferred me to 911. I guess that answers that question.

No comments: