Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Diamond in the Rough

I'm not a big jewelry person but I usually wear my wedding ring and my diamond studs that Bill got me for our anniversary a few years back. This is my jewelry "uniform" day and night and I rarely remove them. However, on Sunday, I took off the earrings to play soccer. I thought this was a smart move considering my history with playing soccer and wearing earrings. I still haven't forgiven myself for losing an earring that Bill gave me on our wedding day at a soccer game.

Since I'm not in the habit of changing earrings, I forgot to put them back on until yesterday. I reached up on the shelf and quickly found one earring but then couldn't find the other. Where could it be? I took everything down from the shelf and frantically searched through it all and still couldn't find it. Maybe it fell off the shelf? Suddenly I remembered stumbling to the bathroom in the middle of the night on Monday and stepping on something sharp. I spent a few moments trying to determine what had poked me and then decided I cared more about getting back to sleep. Now I hypothesized that I must have stepped on the missing earring. Aha!

Aha! quickly turned to Oh No!
My heart sank because I remembered that Bill had vacuumed this area just last night. Fortunately, I'm usually so happy that the rug is vacuumed and I didn't have to do it that I don't nag about emptying the "dirt cup" on the vacuum. As luck would have it, after sifting through a very full load of the "rough" in the dirt cup, I recovered the missing earring.

I also discovered that Lauren would make a great archaeologist because she rolled up her sleeves and seemed to thoroughly enjoy the treasure hunt. Don't worry, we were both eager to "scrub up" after the hunt.

Kristen watched from a safe distance and wondered why I didn't just buy a new earring at Claire's.

No comments: