Monday, October 27, 2008

One dollar

Last night I was driving home from my old-lady league soccer game at about 10pm. As I was driving along I was contemplating whether or not I should lead a fairly large volunteer project at Lauren's school. As I drove past the school I decided that I should do it. If I don't, no one will.

I had Bill's car and noticed the gas tank was nearly empty. I pulled into the gas station and stepped out of my car when a man across from me exclaimed, "I have got a GREAT deal for you!"

Apparently, he prepaid $40 for gas but he only used $36 of gas. He said he'd let me have the remaining $4 of gas if I gave him $1. This initially struck me as a little shady and I told him that I didn't think I had a dollar on me. I checked my wallet and discovered that I did have it so I thought...what the hell. I gave him the money and he set down the gas pump, ran in to tell the gas attendant, and pulled away. I drove over to his pump but decided to check with the gas attendant for myself just to be sure. The gas attendant shook his head, followed me out to my car and pumped the $4 of gas for me. Weird, but ok! Was I just scammed in some way or did I just take advantage of an opportunity? I still can't figure it out.

The only conclusion I can draw...I better follow through on the volunteering because the universe has already thanked me. You don't mess with the universe.

No comments: