Friday, May 29, 2009

The Most Horrible, Terrible Invention Ever Created by Man...

I must have been on Punk'd or This is Howie Do it or Hidden Camera or some similar show. What I experienced could not have been "real". As you probably know, I live in a fairly noisy, rowdy household. I grew up in a large family, I have two young kids, two loud dogs...you get the picture. I don't freak out about noise (particularly when my children aren't the source).

I was waiting in the lobby of the children's swim school with about 30 other moms, siblings, and swimmers preparing for their lesson. I'd say the decibal level was about 60 - 70dB. No big deal. A mom rushes in and ushers her 3 year old to her lesson a few minutes late. Next, she parks her stroller next to me and frees her 14 month old from it and smiles proudly as the child races around the lobby area. I return to my book. The mother really seemed to need to socialize with someone so she moved around the room until she could find someone to verbally admire her little angel. Maybe we were all too focused on our own children becasue before I could register what happened, this woman decided to "up the ante". She slipped on her toddler's new shoes as she gushed about how cute they were. These were NOT cute shoes. They were the devil's invention. Each time that little girl took a step (which was often because she was running all over the small lobby) the shoes let out a bloodcurdling squeak. It was not a sweet little squeak, it was loud and horrible!

The worst part...the mother thought this was so adorable and would encourage her little one to squeak all over the place for a ridiculously long period of time. At one point, I grabbed my cell phone so I could leave a message for Bill because I knew I would not be able to adequately describe just how annoying this sound was.

Move over Dumb and Dumber - "Most Annoying Sound Ever"...there's a new champion in town.

Thank God swim lessons only last 30 minutes.

No comments: